Get to Know: Connor
Connor McDermott is a junior swimmer from Sweetwater, TN. He attends Sweetwater High School in his hometown.
McDermott has been competing on the swim circuit since he was twelve years old, and was part of the national team selected for the World Championships held in Istanbul. McDermott has had plenty of success in swimming, medaling in many events.
McDermott has a younger sister. He lives at home with his parents, sibling, and their dog, Max.
- What’s your best subject in school?
Math, I guess. I’m pretty good with numbers.
- What’s the coolest thing you’ve ever done?
That’s tough. I got an A in math one time. I was pretty proud of that.
- What do you want to accomplish?
The Olympics would be great, but so would a world record or something like that. After that, I think I’d like to see the world.
- What’s your favorite book?
Right now, I’m trying to read Game of Thrones, but I just can’t get into it.
- You’re going out on a date. What are you doing?
Um, I’d probably just take her to the movies.
- What’s your go-to comfort meal?
My mom’s lasagne.
- What’s the hardest part of your job?
Um, I don’t know, really. I guess trying to balance homework and swimming? Or trying to stay awake in class after morning practice.
- Why did you pick swimming over other sports?
I really just like the water. I played soccer and basketball and volleyball, but I just really feel at home in the water.
- Your best friend needs help. What do you do?
Probably go to his house, see what he needs help with. Maybe we study, maybe we play video games. Y’know. Whatever the situation calls for.
- What’s something most people don’t realize about you?
I guess that I’m still in high school? I mean, I’m graduating this year, but on the circuit, a lot of the guys are older. It’s kinda cool, like I’m at Worlds and I’m just chilling with the other Americans and they’re not treating me like a little kid. It’s great. But then they’ll ask me stuff about, like, booze or whatever and I’m just like, “I don’t know.”
- What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
I guess my first phone. I mean, not much you can do without one of those these days. My parents bought me one for Christmas when I started high school.
- If you could meet one person on the planet, who would it be?
I don’t know … maybe George R.R. Martin? It might be interesting to have a conversation with him.
- What’s your favorite movie?
The Sherlock Holmes movies.
- TV show?
Game of Thrones.
- What do you do in your spare time?
Usually, play video games.
- If you could take up a new hobby, what would it be?
Maybe skateboarding or mountain biking or something?
- You broke up with your s/o. What are you listening to?
Probably something really sappy. What, you want specifics? I’m not telling you.
- What’s one thing you couldn’t live without?
I guess my swim cap? I mean, I used to swim without one. My hair was like straw, I had to keep it shaved for a while. Not a good look. Really hydrodynamic though.
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Um, probably right here. I guess? I don’t know.
- Do you have any pets?
I have a dog, Max. He’s my best bud.
Connor joins Gabriel and Reese on the world stage in Going Under, the first book in the Something in the Water series.