Get to Know: Kat Jennings
Katherine (Kat) Jennings is a freshman at John Hopkins University, and part of the university’s swim team. She just graduated high school in Annapolis, MD, and moved to Baltimore over the summer. Kat was tabbed to go to the London Olympics, but lost out on a spot to Mel Egerton.
Kat is an only child, who grew up not far from Baltimore. A shy, quiet girl, she likes to spend time reading. She’s particularly a fan of Japanese anime and manga, and she likes reading and writing fanfiction, particularly slash fanfiction (but don’t tell her parents).
Kat is currently enrolled in a BA program, although she hasn’t declared a major yet. Kat hopes to make the Olympic team for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
When she’s finished school, Kat would like to become a teacher at the high school level. She’d like to teach music, English literature, or phys. ed.
- What’s your best subject in school?
English literature. I like to read a lot, but my grammar is kind of terrible most of the time.
- What’s the coolest thing you’ve ever done?
For my sixteenth birthday, my parents rented a yacht and I had my birthday party there. Pretty much the whole school showed up and it became one giant dance party.
- What do you want to accomplish?
My dream is the Olympics!
- What’s your favorite book?
You probably don’t know it … it’s a Japanese manga called Saiyuki. It’s based on an ancient Chinese myth.
- You’re going out on a date. What are you doing?
Oh! Um, I guess a coffee date? Something fairly casual, so we can talk to each other.
- What’s your go-to comfort meal?
I love crab cakes and lobster rolls. There’s nothing better.
- What’s the hardest part of your job?
I guess the time management? Like, swimming and school are both very demanding. It’s my first year, so learning to balance them is key.
- Why did you pick swimming over other sports?
I’ve always loved the water. My dad used to take me to swimming lessons at our local pool, he called me his “starfish.” My mom says it was impossible to get me off the beach or out of the bathtub. I always liked to pretend I was a mermaid, and mermaids have to be strong swimmers, right?
- Your best friend needs help. What do you do?
I’m on the phone, talking her through it. Whether she’s planning a party or going through a break-up, I’m there.
- What’s something most people don’t realize about you?
I have a good sense of humor, but since I’m pretty shy, most people don’t see that.
- What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
When I was in the eighth grade, my best friend bought me a book that I really wanted. It had just come out and it was pretty expensive, so I didn’t expect it. It wasn’t even my birthday. I still have the book.
- If you could meet one person on the planet, who would it be?
Rumiko Takahashi! She draws a lot of manga, some very popular stuff.
- What’s your favorite movie?
The Little Mermaid.
- TV show?
When I was a kid, I really, really, really loved Sailor Moon. I still do, in a lot of ways.
- What do you do in your spare time?
I read and I write fanfiction. It’s really awful stuff, my grammar’s horrible.
- If you could take up a new hobby, what would it be?
I’d love to learn to draw! I’m always so wowed by people who draw comics. I can only do stick figures.
- You broke up with your s/o. What are you listening to?
I guess Taylor Swift or something like that?
- What’s one thing you couldn’t live without?
My phone. I use it to stay connected and to keep up to date with what’s happening in the world.
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Tokyo! I don’t know if I’d live there very long, but it seems like a really exciting place to live for a bit.
- Do you have any pets?
I have a cat, named Mittens. She’s gray and white.
Catch up with Kat in Going Under, available now.