Get to Know: Gabriel Foss
Gabriel Foss is the youngest of three children. He has two older sisters, Heather and Isabella (Izzy). He lives in Baltimore, Maryland, attending Johns Hopkins University, where he’s studying in hopes of becoming a pediatrician. In the meantime, he’s currently considered a top prospect in USA Swimming. He attended the 2012 London Olympics and won four medals (one gold, two silver, one bronze).
Gabriel as a Character
Gabriel is a reserved character, typically stand-offish and silent. He doesn’t say very much and often intimidates both his teammates and his competitors with his intensity. He takes both swimming and school very seriously. He’s someone who likes to be challenged and is always striving for more.
Gabriel likes to read and he once took guitar lessons. He describes his favorite music as punk and rock music, and enjoys both concerts and vinyl. He’s not known for being overly social; he’s almost notoriously bad at fan interaction, which keeps his PR team busy. He tends to be a private individual, although, like all college-aged kids, he’s not necessarily exempt from making bad decisions.
He enjoys movies, including Star Wars and Star Trek, as well as sci-fi series. His favorite sport to watch is football.
- What’s your best subject in school?
Biology. Right now, nutrition, mostly because it’s easy.
- What’s the coolest thing you’ve ever done?
Went to the Olympics.
- What do you want to accomplish?
Win more Olympic gold.
- What’s your favorite book?
Anything by Stephen King.
- You’re going out on a date. What are you doing?
I don’t date.
- What’s your go-to comfort meal?
Mac and cheese.
- What’s the hardest part of your job?
Probably getting up in the morning. I’m not a morning person.
- Why did you pick swimming over other sports?
Because I suck at everything else?
- Your best friend needs help. What do you do?
Tell him to call someone else.
- What’s something most people don’t realize about you?
People seem to think I’m mean. I don’t know where they got that idea. I’m not mean, I just don’t really like talking. I’m pretty shy, I guess.
- What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
I can’t tell you that.
- If you could meet one person on the planet, who would it be?
- What’s your favorite movie?
- TV show?
- What do you do in your spare time?
I don’t have spare time.
- If you could take up a new hobby, what would it be?
If I have time for hobbies, I could be studying or training more. But maybe when I’m done school or swimming, I’d like to take up guitar again.
- You broke up with your s/o. What are you listening to?
Probably something angry, maybe Metallica or Rage Against or something like that. Maybe, if I got dumped, something a little sad—like Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here.
- What’s one thing you couldn’t live without?
My iPod. I take it everywhere. Music’s pretty important to me.
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Probably Maryland. I don’t like traveling.
- Do you have any pets?
Catch up with Gabriel’s exploits in Going Under, available on Amazon.com or read the first chapter here.